- Lengths that are 1/2" thick. Soak vermicelli in cool water for 5 mins until soft, Soak mushrooms in hot water to cover for at least an hour until soft enough to slice into fourths. Soak tofu sticks in cool water for a few mins until soft, then slice into 2" lengths. Soak black fungus for a few mins in cool water until soft.
- Wash and use sharp knife to peel water chestnuts and slice into 1/4” slices. Slice napa cabbage into 1/2" strips, wash and drain. Slice tofu puffs in half. Slice eggplant into 2” drain.
- Heat wok over medium high heat. When wok is hot add oil. Add mushrooms and stir fry 15 secs until aromatic. Add in fungus and cabbage, stir fry 2 mins. Add in rice wine and stir fry until wine is mostly evaporated. Add in tofu sticks, tofu puffs, eggplant and water chestnuts.
- Mash Nam Yue to paste in a bowl. Add in mashed nam yue, oyster sauce (if using), salt and sugar. Add 1 1/2 cups water, cover the wok, turn heat to low and let simmer for 10 mins.
- Add in vermicelli and let cook for another 5 mins. When the sauce in the pot is reduced by three fourths, taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- In small bowl, mix corn starch with 1 tbsp water, stir to mix and add to the pot while stirring. The corn flour will thicken the sauce until it is gently clinging to the vegetables.
- Remove from heat immediately.
You are ready to serve a favourite Chinese New Year dish for all to enjoy.